Friday, October 10, 2008

Paul's Words of Wisdom for Our Day

1 Cor 2: 5,14

5: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

14: But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I find it scary and disheartening that so many people believe that Proposition 8 is foolish. That fact is proof that Satan is working so hard to blur and confuse our minds to believe false teachings. (By the way, this is not an open opportunity for any Bible bashing. These are just a couple of wonderful verses I read this morning that I feel apply to our time.)

I just want to clarify one point. I do not want gay people to suffer. I don't understand why it is so difficult for some people to believe that. Isn't it possible to love someone even though you may not believe the same way or agree on every issue? I would absolutely attest that it is possible because I don't believe that any two people are exactly the same.

I know many parents who have children who have gone down different paths than they would choose for them, yet they still love their children. I am certain this is how our Heavenly Father feels with all of us because we have all made mistakes. Some mistakes are graver than others, but God still loves His children. This does not mean that God condones, sanctions, or approves of what we have done. He does allow us to repent of our sins and be forgiven, and for that, I am so grateful. Granted, I am not perfect, but I look toward my Savior's example of perfect love. Jesus was persecuted beyond our comprehension for teaching and living a perfect life.

I do not appreciate comments from people who tell me that I am a bad person for believing differently than they do. It feels like a double standard that someone would have the audacity to tell me that I am hateful person, yet that person is only showing hate toward me. I have had friends over the years of many different faiths and have had friends who claim no faith, but I have loved all of them. It is my hope and prayer that everyone's hearts will be softened.

I am entitled to my beliefs, and all of you are entitled to yours, but please do not cross the line by saying bad things about me because of what I believe. I have tried to have the same courtesy for all of you.

4 comments:

Jana said...

Megan,

Interesting you wrote this. I blogged yesterday about Prop 8. I have an anonymous commentor who has left mean comments a few times, and this one really got them going.

So frustrating that people can't just agree to disagree.

I think you are doing an amazing thing, keep it up!

Love, Jana

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Seriously, we live in a society of so-called 'tolerance' but it's to the point of reverse discrimination, where those who believe in traditional marriage get called intolerant or homophobic just for expressing their beliefs! Isn't that why the pilgrims came to America? To seek religious freedom...don't we have freedom of expression? It's ridiculous. I just got mocked on facebook, of all places, just for joining a 'cause' that believes in traditional marriage. I can't imagine what you guys have faced by expressing your beliefs more openly than I have. But we need to, and I guess we just have to remember all those who came before us who had so much worse done to them for their beliefs (like the early saints, Daniel, Alma, etc.) Thanks for your scriptures, they helped me too.

Hillary said...

Megan this comment was wonderful. I think it's important for people to understand this. They get so filled with hate and caught up in the emotion that I think they forget that what they mistake for success in the issue is really just tearing us down as individuals. I'm pretty sure english and rhetoric has a term for that type of argument. It's a fallacy, specifically an ad hominem. It means that the argument consists of attacking a person's belief or qualities instead of the actual issue that is being discussed. Well anyway i just wanted to tell you I appreciated what you wrote, and I hope you don't mind if I quote some of your thoughts when trying to cool down some arguments I come across. :D

Love, Hillary

Josh said...

Word, sistah! =) I can understand why some would react the way you describe in California, but don't even get me started into some of the editorials the Daily Universe of BYU published last week! It's a crazy world...

Miss you guys!